From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:02:39 -0600
?Hi Mary Jane,
I am a beekeeper but have quite a bit of experience with apple & peach
trees.
Are you sure of your problem (brown rot) . In other words have you taken a
sample to your extension person or another grower?

I assume you are talking about the ends of branches and fruit in the area
turning brown? Not black as in fire blight?

Captan is most dangerous when in powder form. Once mixed in solution not so
much. Captan is the big gun as far as *preventive* fungicides go but is only
a preventive for the most part. Certain others (Ralley)will provide
protection back  to say 72 hours.

Diluted milk is a joke I am afraid.

Afraid of using captan and considering using diluted milk gives me the
impression you are not in the orchard business.

The resource Randy posted gives good information but there is a learning
curve with pesticides and in the constant rain of last growing season in
Missouri even close attention paid to fungicides failed to provide a high
percentage of perfect fruit.

The largest orchard in Missouri sprayed three fungicides one week last
spring and many times uses other fungicides in the same mix as captan.

In some years you can get near prefect fruit with what is available from wal
mart but last year was not one of those years. I believe I recorded 31 days
with periods of rain. Rain removes the fungicide protection to some degree.

In my orchard I always see problems but keep a close eye. Once I see the
problem spreading I act with a product which works back a few days. I use
captan as a preventive at season start and as I feel needed.

I do not use the USDA spray schedule. The schedule is mainly a guide for
beginners. Using the guide is best when starting out but you will end up
using more spray than needed *in my opinion* and not enough in some cases.

I basically use a minimum of  two pesticide sprays  for apples. One as soon
as the bees are pulled and another 10-14 days later. A captan spray before
the bees are placed and depending on rain one after the bees are pulled but
may use another like ralley if I feel too late for captan.

I would never keep your hives in the orchard when you spray but a distance
away is usually safe *if* you mow under the trees before spraying and spray
after the bees have quit  flying and NEVER when blooms are on (except with
certain fungicides and under certain conditions and best left to experienced
growers)
Wet fungicides can spell problems for bees but *usually* not when dried.

I know you are confused by now but the above is pretty elementary stuff to a
complicated subject and I would not have went into if you had not asked
specifically about captan.

Captan *in my opinion* is the best preventive fungicide and not found at
Wal-Mart so I know you asked a knowledgeable person . I am over cautious and
use a respirator helmet with air pump, do not allow to get on skin and spot
spray but with care using nitrile gloves (few dollars) , protection from
skin and an organic pesticide respirator( $40) a few trees could be handled
safely *if* you choose a no wind day. I would also recommend the same outfit
for your other sprays.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison