From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 01:08:01 -0400
Ken Coyle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>I have some frame of drawn comb in storage and have noticed that wax
moths have started laying eggs and some are starting to hatch.  Is there
any way to kill these moths before they damage all of the comb?<<
Get them wrapped in plastic trash bags and store them in the freezer for a
few days.  The bags keep moisture out of the comb(encourages mold) and the
freeze kills moths, larvae and eggs.  This year I've started using PDB(AKA
Paramoth, paradichlorobenzine(sp?)).  A friend used this last year with
great results.

I store my supers in my garage where space is a problem so I'll share my
system with you.  I've made dollies similar to flat moving dollies that are
the same dimensions as supers.  I've built them from old 2x4s and pieces of
plywood that were laying around(casters were the most expensive part of the
project).  I've nailed a piece of masonite slightly smaller than the inside
dimesions of a super to form a lip on top of the dolly to hold the first
super.  I stack the supers on these dollies  no higher than 10 per.  The
top super has a piece of newspaper on it.  I sprinkle the PDB on the piece
of newspaper and cover with plastic telescoping covers available from
Walter T. Kelly. The cover has two breathing holes in it which I have
filled with caulk to keep the crystals from evaporating outside of the
stack of supers.  I duct tape the seams and I have a stack of movable
supers which let me get at the other myriad of stuff behind them.  This
system works so well that when I finally do build a honey house I will
probably continue to use it.

I also keep a bug zapper in the garage for a "nightlite".  It kills the
stray bugs that get in the garage and also the wax moths that come after
the smell of my comb.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX, USA