From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:06:56 EST
    I spoke to John Kenny, a representative of the Mass. Pesticide Control
Board, about possible Malathion spraying. It's too premature to talk about
timing or whether spraying will be necessary at all he said, and, of course,
human health takes priority over animal health. I pointed out that the
spraying should take place with a mind to minimize as much collateral damage
as possible. He agreed.
   It turns out though that DC3s flying in formation were used for widespread
Malathion spraying in some areas of Massachusetts to control an outbreak of
Eastern Equine Encephalitis in the mosquito population in 1990. Beekeepers
and other interested parties were notified well in advance. Kenny said that
helium balloons were distributed to organic farmers so the planes could avoid
contaminating organic crops.
   Perhaps commercial and sideliner beekeepers could avoid direct application
of Malathion to their hives by asking for helium balloons that could be
placed around their apiaries. I'm sure a certain density of hives would be
necessary to merit this, which would leave hobbyist beekeepers in the lurch.
Perhaps hobbyists, working through their local bee clubs, could move their
hives into common areas to achieve sufficient density of hives to merit
exception.
   Are their any members of the list who have experienced Malathion spraying
of this nature (widespread, for public health reasons), and what was your
experience?
John Mitchell