From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 10:11:31 -0500
Aaron Morris wrote:

> [log in to unmask] wrote: ... "The best treatment i have ever
> came
> across for Tracheal mites is from a article in American bee Journal-Feb.1997
>
> page 138 by Don jackson...."
>
> Enlighten us, please.
Aaron,
Procedure is old news in commercial circles. Many commercial beekeepers
have used the treatment as long as i have. I will use quotes by Don
Jackson, Minnesota bee inspector ,from the article.
Quote:
One of the best attention getters took place this fall(1996) when i was
checking an assembly yard of several hundred colonies  for interstate
movement. The nights had been cool,down to freezing,and this particular
day had peaked at about 60 degrees F. by mid-afternoon when i was at the
apiary. As i pried open the covers,I would find half a blue shop towel
lying on top of the frames,ranging from those freshly installed by the
beekeepers to those in all stages of being removed by the bees. A hearty
whiff of menthol vapor hit my nostrils from each super.
"Whats going on here" i asked myself. "The temperature is barely 60
degrees,and this stuff shouldn't be vaporizing so well in this cold
climate".
last paragraph from article:
Viola! There you have it!-the best money save i've seen in this business
in a long time, especially after the recent litany of what has been
nothing but bad news. It's so simple that anyone can do it. Best of
all,the treatment works in cooler weather and uses the one LEGAL
treatment for tracheal mites-menthol.

Hope i didn't leave any important parts out. Leave it up to beekeepers
to come up with the answers to our beekeeping problems!
Bob Harrison U.S.A.