Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:08:51 GMT
Big Ag USSR style was an environmental fiasco.  I grew up in Poland where the communist government tried to impose huge Soviet-style communal farms.  These were notoriously unproductive and relied on heavy chemical use.  Thankfully, most of the land remained in small farmers' hands.  These folks have always been the true custodians for the farm lands.  They raised a variety of crops and animals, practiced manuring and crop rotation.  They also kept bees!  They also set aside areas for wildlife.  All without government mandates.

Communism failed miserably.  I'd love to see Amish-size/style farms using modern equipment replace Big Ag across the US farmland.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY