From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 12:28:18 PST
RE: Questons about bumblebee rearing....

Dr. Plowright recommended "The Humble Bee:  Its Life History and How
to Domesticate It", by F.W.L. Sladen.  If you can not fine a copy,
contact Pam Munn ([log in to unmask]).  I understand that it has
been reprinted recently by IBRA.  Another book you will find inter-
esting is "Bumblebee Exconomics" by Bernd Heinrich.

RE:  Orchard Mason Bees

The species we have in NW United States is Osmia lignaria propinqua.
This species preferrs 5/16 inch holes.  Use a brad-bit as it makes
a cleaner hole.  The bees will use almost any length of hole, but
may not use the ENTIRE lengtih.  Around here, we mostly use
4 by 4 inch blocks of various lengths with the holes bored not
quite through.  The bees will also use cans stuffed with paper
or plastic straws folded in half.  The best book I've seen on this
subject is "The Orchard Mason Bee" by Brian Griffin.  If you want
a copy (costs about $8 U.S.) drop me a line & I'll send you Brian's
address.  You could also check wityh a company called "Orchard Bees".
They used to sell bees and nests several years ago.  Address is
1111 Cindy St., Auburn, IN  46706.

Drop me a note if you have questions....

Cheers,

Dave Pehling

  | W.S.U./SNOHOMISH CO. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION |
  | 600 128TH ST. S.E.                         |
  | EVERETT, WA.  98208                        |
  |PHONE - (206)338-2400                       |
  |FAX   - (206)338-3994                       |
  |INTERNET  [log in to unmask]         |