From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:16:37 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

Then,  hives are placed too close together and possibly too many in one
> spot.  Even just a small change, like having half as many hives at a
> site,  could reduce disease in apiaries.

Refer to Bailey's writings and lectures on the effects of having too many
hives in one location.  From my (fallible) memory the density and  distribution
that Tom Seeley reports in the Arnott Forest is fairly close to  that which
Bailey concludes (on a world wide average basis) is the maximum  density of
colonies without ill-effects.  Perhaps this is coincidence.  Perhaps Seeley's bees
have read Bailey. Perhaps Bailey was right. Perhaps this  is why the Arnott
Forest bees survive.

Dare I suggest it: perhaps somebody studying CCD ought to read Bailey and,
in the light of what he has written, go through the results so far and see to
what extent the 'Bailey factor' can be applied?

Chris