Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:00:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
We are having the same weird winter-early spring here in the Connecticut River Valley in NH.  Temps over 60F/16C this week (pushing 70F/21C by Sat), most snow gone and the bees are flying with purpose.  Confirmed pollen coming in on Tuesday and saw liquid in cells in the nuc I checked (but don't know if it is from nectar or converted from the dry sugar I fed them earlier).  Supposed to cool off next week, but still be in the upper 40sF/8C+, so bees will fly.  I'll take it as the older I get the sooner I want spring to arrive.

As for plastic frames, I have gotten the bees to draw them out fine by feeding heavily, even in spring (e.g. when I converted years ago).  But, I have never tried it so early in the season.  I suppose that, if they are ready to draw wax, then they will go at it, but could shut down quickly if the weather turns really cold.  But, if they do, what's the harm, right?  They'll just pick up again, when temps rise.  What I wonder is: are bees of the right development phase in the colonies now to draw comb?  I think I have all old bees from last year right now, and I don't know if they would 'convert' back to drawing comb.  Could be an interesting experiment.

Bill
Claremont, NH

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2