From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 08:05:39 -0500
<<<<No handmade
foundation is ever as good as factory made, and I doubt that it's
cheaper>>>>
Speaking as a small time beekeeper (20 to 30 colonies) I must disagree with
the above statement. Every summer I reclaim with the aid of a solar wax
extractor more than enough wax to fill all my foundation requirements,
candles, furniture polish, etc.. Back in 1980 I bought a Herzog foundation
press from Germany, Dadant size.  This press  has been in constant use for
twenty years by me and members of my local association and is still
churning out perfect foundation. I must admit to having a very large
beehouse. Foundation making is not a job for the household kitchen unless
you have an angel for a wife. All who use the press agree that the bees
prefer the home made to commercial sheets. The frames are wired, three
horizontal, and embedded electrically with a six volt embedder.  Since my
wax costs nothing but time and a little propane for the boiler I can afford
to be lavish in comb replacements.
Dadant foundation bought commercially currently costs rather more than £12
for ten sheets, (about 20dollars US). Langstroth deep about £10 (16dollars
US) so it is not cheap. Home made foundation is twice as thick and more
easily handled.
        [log in to unmask]  Beekeeper since 1930 and beginning to feel
the strain..            Southern England