From:
"John K. Warsaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:29:43 -0500
I may not be a commercial beekeeper, but I do count myself as budget-minded!
I use a device for feeding that I make from extra hive parts, scrap lumber,
and  plastic bins I bought at Lowes for $1.49 .

I start by adding an empty brood chamber or honey super on top of the inner
cover.  The depth doesn't matter.  I just use whatever I have lying about.
I then set the plastic storage bin on top of the inner cover in a position
that doesn't block the hole.  I add scraps of lumber to act as floats for
the bees, and pour in some sugar water.  I then cap everything with the
outer cover.

The bees come up through the hole in the inner cover, which  remains in its
usual place, to get to the sugar syrup.  The outer cover protects everything
from the weather.  The tub holds at least a gallon of liquid.  I can check
it or add liquid in any weather, or even in the dark, because I don't have
to disturb the hive.

If anyone wants to try my idea please follow the concept, rather than any
particular dimensions.  I've been using this method for a couple of years
now, with good results.