From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 06:48:29 -0500
<Really, there is a vast difference between natural selection and human
selection. In a million years, nature would not have selected most of the
dog breeds you see strutting around Central Park. Nature wouldn't have
selected the giant ears of corn that are produced on America's farms.>
That's sort of my point, though not very well spoken.  You won't see the
breeds of corn etc out in nature because that is a different environment
than what you find on the farm.  But then again you likely wouldn't find
corn at all where I live and we've got it in spades.  The human environment
these things are raised in has different selective pressures.  We are one
of them.  If we were running around the forest in furs with pointy sticks
would we then be part of natural selection?  Or is it still human
selection?  Really in the end what we do is just a matter of degree.
Humans tend to put things under stronger selection, that doesn't mean it's
not natural.  We assign it as human selection in part because of the faster
rate and part out or our own self importance, both real and imagined.  In
the end it's still all about survival... namely ours.

Jeremy
West Michigan