Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:02:46 -0400
Hi Bob and List,

I certainly agree with you on the point that there is a difference between
hobby and commercial beekeeps. I can't imagine you commercial folks have the
time to stroll up to the same few hives with a "wobbly pop" (beer) in hand
and watch.  I currently keep Russians here in Ontario.  Previously I had
carnies and of course before that was Italians. My experience as a hobbyist
was that the Italians seem to require a bit more management.  That is
monitoring for disease and prepping for winter and spring.  The carnies seem
to not require as much.  An example was in the fall feeding was only done
for nosema control not for additional stores as they seem to over winter on
less.  However, they needed the same for Varroa as the Italian.  Both made
about the same honey for me.  The carnies were ready much faster in the
spring.  They seem to build up over night but this lead to the high swarming
tendency.  The Russians have much of the same characteristics as the carnies
but seem to require even less for varroa.  I treat once a year(in the fall)
for Varroa.  Now the thinking here is to treat in the fall and spring for
Nosema.
I cannot imagine any hive tolerating being moved around very much.  The
stress on the hive would cause considerable problems.  What would you
consider a normal amount of losses now verus say 20 years ago?  If it is
greater, do you think it is because of  genetics, chemicals or the alignment
of the planets :) I wonder if there is much difference between Canada and
the United States regarding the genetic make up of the bees?

Kent
Ontario Canada