From:
Jack Grimshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:13:44 -0500
Points well made  Jim,but nothing speculative about trunk injection in a healthy tree.Although slightly invasive,it works.
In stressed trees there may be some problems with intial uptake but control can be gotten for 2-3 years. There are systemics that we apply now with just a trunk spray.

In 2010 I toured the Worcester quarantine with a group ofCT arborists and reps from Aphis.There happened to be 3 beeks in the group so I' m not surprised at the climbers interest.We consider ourselves to be stewards of the environment.Most were very sympathetic to the beekeepers concern with imid injections but all realized that if ALB gained a toe hold in the maple forest we could be putting sugar syrup with imitation maple flavoring on our pancakes and Canada may have to change it's flag.We have seen what is happening to the ash in the upper midwest.

I've also attended a few Worcester Beek meetings and you're right,many weren't happy but I think they realized the no action option was not really an option.I think they managed to limit the treatments to trunk injection (instead of soil) but can find no record.
Care to comment Dean if you're following ?

Two of the prefered hosts for ALB are maples and willows which provide a major source of pollen and nectar for early spring build up in our area.I am interested in seeing the results of this study. Jeff Pettis's real world follow up.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/projects/projects.htm?ACCN_NO=421928

No reason to put tree climber in quotes.It's what we do.(Still climbing at 62 ,though not nearly as much.Thank God for bucket trucks).   Not surprised your buddy moved on to the next opportunity.Inspection climbers are a small subset and follow the bugs.   Storm chasers.

" level of isolation that only water boundaries can maintain."
Yeah,you and Hong Kong

Jack

Sent from my NOOK