From:
João Campos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:24:35 -0500
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:19:21 -0600, Lionel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I don't know about anyone except myself, but if AHB's arrive in my area, I
>will kiss beekeeping goodbye. I have worked my bees without a veil, gloves
>or coveralls for about 25 years. I get stung quite often as I work them. I
>will not take any chances with hot bees. Normally I get stung on the nose,
>ears and hands. These are not very bad, just 5 or so each trip.

That's right, Lionel, you wouldn't be able to work AHB without a suit,
except in special occasions. But thrust me, wearing a full suit, with mask,
boots and gloves does look much more unbearable than it actually is. Yes,
we sweat a lot sometimes, but it's really no big deal. Probably, it takes
some of the joy away, as some have pointed out, but yes, you may still sit
aside the hive and watch the bees for as long time as you want (provide you
don't disturb them). And you can give the hives exactly the same handling
you're used to. And, believe me or not, you'd probably get far less stings
than now - five stings is very rare for me in a 2-3 hours work.

Those who think the main/only problem would be the end of the backyard
beekeeping got it right, IMHO. That's what many of us Brazilians complain
about - apiaries *must* be isolated from people and animals. And that means
a larger area for each apiary, and preferably, a good barrier of woods
between the bees and roads/houses/facilities. No urban beekeeping is
possible. And that prevents beekeeping for a large amount of small land
owners, which is really bad.

Just my POV, of course.

Joćo Campos - AHBkeeper