From:
Debbee Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2016 18:42:49 -0400
> Dave wrote:
> I still see it once in a while in a few cells from a weak hive; burn the
> frames, scorch the boxes.  Nebraska's longtime beekeepers at a recent
> meeting reported similar in an informal discussion. For years, we used to
> treat prophylactically with terramycin on the top bars which mask the
> problem.  You should be able to find an older study of honey that
> demonstrates the spores are probably endemic.  I think the focus on varroa
> moved our thinking and also just regular changing out old wax frames helps a
> lot which we didn't used to do as often.

That is what I am finding; a perfectly beautiful frame of brood with just one cell of AFB.  I will not treat them, I have burned 8 so far. The rest of the hives seem good but will still inspect and put no new hives or bees in my home yard. I agree with the focus being on varroa and AFB somewhat forgotten, especially to new Beekeepers.  I am grateful that I have a retired NYS Bee inspector close by (Joe Hewitt) who taught me early on how to spot this, and attended a Bee Wellness workshop a few years ago which was invaluable;  Actually Randy Oliver, Peter Borst, Aaron Morris and a few other knowledgeable beeks taught us.  I will be attending the one at Cornell in August and hopefully pass what I learn on to my Bee Club. This was a sad and expensive lesson, I will do some things much differently now.  Thanks for answering.