Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:16:24 -0600
> I would be really interested to see reliable data on big US
> beekeepers. How many big beeks are there...how many participate in
> surveys...what are their losses...do they give true info on what they
> do against mites..

Can't answer the first two questions, but others will, I hope.

As whether commercial beekeepers are candid about what really do, that
depends on who is listening. I've been in informal open door round
tables where these matters are discussed openly.

However, when regulators or members of the press are present, commercial
beekeepers are less inclined to full disclosure, and for good reason.
These individuals are considered generally to be a nuisance but
occasionally useful, so are tolerated and humoured.

These same beekeepers are generally quite candid with _most_
researchers.  Researchers generally listen and, understand, and are
discreet.

> Can you tell me how and when you did that?

The experience is well documented in my diary, starting in October 2011.
  http://honeybeeworld.com/diary/2011/diary101011.htm

I used a blower system first, then evaporators for the subsequent
treatments.  The hives were in three standard brood chambers and EPS
(Styrofoam) boxes, and I attribute the failure to that at least in part.

I was not concerned by the number of remaining mites after treatment,
but by the end of August 2012, it was clear that I had to 'go nuclear'
and use Apivar.  The mites were at a level where I risked losing all
again.

During spring last year I had queen introduction problems and where I
left hives to raise queens themselves, they often did not.  Was that due
to the residual varroa?  I have no proof, but I am doing walk-away
splits this year without good success again..

Previously, for several years I had seemingly controlled varroa by
splitting drastically in summer and by using drizzle in the fall. I
think, though, that something new entered the mix in recent years and
that levels of varroa that were formerly relatively benign are proving
lethal now.

> The results of our survey 2013 are in, of course we have to publish
> first but I can tell you that losses were the lowest in years. No
> change in mite management can be seen. So what happened?

Randomness?
---

A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one
believes individually. Abba Eban (1915-2002)

---
Why go fast if you can go slow?

Allen Dick
Swalwell, Alberta, Canada
51°33'37.58"N  113°18'54.24"W
Semi-retired - 40+ years keeping bees - 4500 hives max
Currently running 20 to 100 hives
Hives for sale year-round
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/