From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:07:40 -0500
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The problem with FGMO is it wraps itself in the mantel of science but
> with tests, as you noted, that leave a lot of questions which are never
> answered. When FGMO is tested by independent researchers, it always
> comes up short. In some cases disasterously so. And it seems every time
> it does, a new application method is developed.

Hi Bill -

Will you please put names to those other "independent researchers?"

Here is a portion of an email I received from Dr. R recently and permission
was given to pass along. Three cheers to Dr R for being persistent! My hat
goes off to him for continuing his research in spite of those eager to label
it as bad science.

Regards,
Barry

-------
1.  I quit doing research in the US because government sponsored spraying
programs for the Nile mosquito killed all but five of my research hives and
the pesticide used is in the combs of the remaining colonies. There was no
reimbursement for my loses and there is no reason to start again because the
government is intent in continuing to spray (airborne) which means that any
bee hives in their area of spray will die either directly or indirectly.
All in all, a total disaster.

2.  More importantly, the European Community  (EC) has enacted
environmental procedures to prevent this type of accidents hence beekeeping
research over there is not likely to be lost due to this type of pesticide
applications.  Hence all my efforts in this area are being done in Spain.

 3.  Argentinean (second world honey producer) beekeepers, some with as
many as 8000 hives, are now utilizing nothing but FGMO (fogging and emulsion
impregnated cords) with tremendous success.  There are many
educational/private institutions presently engaged in FGMO research,
some employing as many as 5000 colonies as published in several beekeeping
trade magazines.

4.  My research with FGMO continues full scale.  I am working with my own
colonies; advising other beekeepers who work on their own hives, and as
technical advisor for a program owned and operated by local municipal
governments who employ veterinarians and beekeepers to run their research
programs.  One of these municipalities has a project under study, the
results of which will be published no later than July 2001.  Tests include
residue testing in hive products: honey, propolis and beeswax.

5.  VERY IMPORTANT.   Research has demonstrated that FGMO blocks the
respiratory system of the mites causing their death by asphyxia.

6.  Presently, all beehives employed for FGMO research utilize
screened/perforated beehive bottoms. The reason for this is that mites under
the influence of FGMO do not die immediately, (since their death is by
asphyxia, hence they die slowly) but they do fall off the bees thus with
perforated/screened bottoms they are taken off the bee population.