From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 05:28:00 -0400
>OK, you might have a bad case of Acarine, or/and resistant V.j.- I hope
>so! But I f you have Imidacloprid in the area- investigate very
>carefully.

In Prince Edward Island just north of the area in question:
winter losses on 900 hives:  about 5%
no acarine mites
no varroa mites (detected so far, hope hope)
plenty of Imidacloprid spraying, but all on potatoes which are not visited

Another thing: regarding the Cook Strait
The Northumberland Strait is 8 miles at the narrowest but generally about 12
miles as well.  There is even a bridge.   It has proved an effective barrier
for several years now.  IMHO drones drifting across a strait that wide is
not much of a threat.  Human movement and most likely beekeeper movement is
the biggest danger.
Perhaps Trevor will comment on the Torres Strait protecting Australia, as I
know he is involved with that protection.  Not near as much human movement
there.
Stan