From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:00:50 -0400
Bob Harrison wrote:

>Pesticides have always caused the commercial beekeeper problems but are not
>the sole cause of CCD. Nor is N. ceranae in my opinion. Only parts of a
>complicated picture.

> Bee geneticists believe genetic diversity is key to deal with the myriad
disease and pest pressures of honeybees in this country. Experts believe
bees have a very weak immune system, and a wide assortment of enemies -
Varroa and tracheal mites, viruses, a new strain of a disease known as
Nosema ceranae, and now colony collapse - have all taken a toll. Cobey has
tried to get the necessary USDA permits for years to import bee DNA from
Europe, but her efforts have "bogged down in incredible bureaucracy."

SEE:
Honeybee act needs changes to help researchers
Capital Press Agriculture Weekly
http://tinyurl.com/6xodc9