From:
Reese Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 19:49:44 -0700
On Fri, 3 Jun 1994, Son Trinh wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I'm writing a paper on Varroa mites population and its effects on
> Honeybee for an English class.  The prof. requires that I use at lease
> ..least another source other than from the literatures, so I thought
> since I have access to this Bee-L, I might ask for you help.  If you
> can answer the questions below and send it back to me, I would really
> appreciate ur help.  You don't have to answer all of them of course.

I live near Seattle and have 8 hives.  This is the first year we have had
a serious problem with Varroa.  I was quite lucky as I treated with
Apistan strips (2 per hive) in the late fall after I removed honey. My
hives were not affected at all by Varroa.  Others in the area have not
been so fortunate.  I met a beekeeper this week who lives in this area and
had 150 hives.  He did not treat for Varroa and lost 46 hives to them.
Most beekeepers in this area consider Varroa to be a serious threat.  All
of the beekeepers I know who are treating for Varroa are using Apistan as
they do not know of other methods of treatment which are considered
effecting in controlling the mites.  At least one large beekeeper ( 50+
hives) I know has sold out because of the threat.

Reese