From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:53:00 -0500
In reference to Billy Smart's incident with heat stroke, be aware that
once incurred, the susceptibility to a reoccurrence of heat stroke is
greatly enhanced.  I worked in a national guard unit based in Houston,
Texas and participated in a number of active duty tours (two weeks)
during the summer in Texas and Louisiana.  Initially the unit I was with
incurred numerous incidents of heat stroke with unit members who were
not acclimated to the hot conditions.  We were continuously warned that
if we had previously had an incident of heat stroke we were a lot more
likely to have a reoccurrence unless we closely monitored ourselves.  It
was only after the second summer of annual training that the unit really
began to push hydration before the two week summer camp.  That meant
drinking copious amounts of water starting several weeks before we were
due to go to camp and to continue the water intake during the two weeks
of camp.   After that emphasis, incidents of heat stroke and other heat
related incidents dropped to almost nothing.

Conclusion:  From my observation, heat related injuries dropped
significantly only after individuals were made aware of the dangers and
practiced preventive measures, i.e. drink a lot of water and
continuously monitor your body's condition for abnormal heat stress.

Mike Stoops
1/2 way between Montgomery & Mobile, Alabama