From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:15:32 -0500
"Anybody going to Galveston?" Yes Aaron, I expect quite a few. How about a Bee-L get together? It would be fun, I'll bee there.

"And it's not "lurking", its "reading" Amen James.

I learn a lot lurking, er I mean reading, Bee-L. I some times chime in with my experiences. A lot of the science is way over my head but that is fine. I enjoy it and try to find any practical application or just tickle my brain. What is most valuable to me is discussing novel (read often off label) or unconventional management practices that experienced beeks have tested and that have DATA BASED RESULTS. OA in glycerin, OA vapor, my own Dry-Loc experiments, stock improvement techniques, AFB, the list goes on. This is all good stuff and better when the scientists and chemists among us evaluate  and comment. Being able to discuss free of the mussel of "approved' methods is important. Yes it can be dangerous and that is where the voice of acknowledged experts is most welcome. The era of no effective "approved" varroa control that led to all the Taktic and Mavrik applications is a case in point. I remember trying to discuss various recipes with university and USDA lab scientists and they would invariably clam up. "Use only approved products and follow all label instructions". Even when they are not effective and in fact harmful as was the case with mites resistant to Apistan and CheckMite. That left us with "Joe did this and it worked great" Most of us want to do the right thing and welcome the knowledge available on this list.

Thanks to all and keep it going.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA