From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:46:15 -0800
Ted:
But don't you find it a little screwy that a beekeeper with 300 hives who
carefully avoids developing resistant varroa by alternating his mite
treatments, is considered an impractical dreamer?Reply:
Yes,
and no, but alternating mite treatments is not the way, for it
increases imbalance in the beehive, that actually in the long-run makes
things worse,....... besides compunding internal contamination of beeswax, and
food the bees use. Also, what about contamination to one's self when treating?

 Yet, short term it will control mites. But do you
want short term or long term control? If long term, then chemical free ways are
better, and more healthy for the bees, and yourself to, for not having to
handle such things. And there are chemical free ways that work!! I might not like it, but  LC can be worked chemical free though labor intensive, but I  don't consider it long term for make one mestake and you can crash.

 However, . SC can be worked chemical free too, and to me very much less labor intensive and less work for the bees also, but once set up it is long term. It's just a matter of choice.

Dee A. Lusby
Using borrowed computer.