From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:28:57 -0700
>I've been waiting to hear this from one of you that I follow on this list.

> Randy, once again I would love to hear your input here.

I think that Allen spoke for me.  I've been an organic gardener/orchardist
for over 30 years, and feel strongly that our current agricultural
practices are environmentally unjustified and unsustainable.  But Allen, I
have never claimed that any pesticide was "safe"--I am just sticking to
evidence of adverse effects or the lack thereof at field-relevant
applications.

> >Why can't the all important almond, corn and soy growers consider some
> semblance of sustainable practice?

Funny you should ask Todd--I'm currently putting the finishing touches on
an article for ABJ covering that very subject!

Regareding almonds, Project Apis m., for which I am a scientific advisor,
is promoting the planting of bee forage plants in the almond orchards:
http://projectapism.org/content/view/142/61/

The problem is that the almond growers want bare ground between the trees
for two reasons--it helps greatly with frost protection for the tender
almond buds and young nuts, and there can't be residues on the ground when
the nuts are swept up for harvest.  In any case, any such plantings would
only give short-term benefit.  An acre of almonds in full bloom will only
support about two colonies without them losing weight--and this is one of
the most intense blooms imaginable.

After bloom, there is no water available for irrigation between the trees,
so any such forage would dry up on the hot Valley floor.  So the bees would
still starve for the rest of the year, even if they survived the pesticides
applied after bloom.

With other crops, who will pay for farmers to take their land out of
production?  Syngenta has an excellent program in Europe
http://www.operationpollinator.com/, where farmers are subsidized to plant
and maintain habitat for pollinators and wildlife.

The U.S. consumer pays less for food than anyone else in the world.  The
sad fact is that it will cost someone money to either take land out of
production or to interplant pollinator forage.  The question always is, who
will pay for it?

Todd, I'm not trying to be negative.  I see a better future eventually when
we are forced to practice more sustainable and environmentally-friendly
agriculture.  I will speak of action toward that end in my article.

In the meantime, I'm trying to separate the facts from the emotion and myth
surrounding pesticides, GMO's, and bee health.  I am certainly not trying
to promote monoculture, corporate domination, nor pesticide use.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA