From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 04:43:43 -0700
> Taking Varroa as the example, treatments using Formic, Oxalic acids
> appear to have less of a resistance creating potential. These may or
> may not save the day. Probably not, according to many time stretched
> individuals. Present day application methods are too time consuming,
> cost in labour excessive being suggested as reasons for non
> application of such treatments.

That's the excuse, but, having used formic, and having observed the use of
oxalic, I can't say that this argument has any merit at all.

Treating with either acid is much cheaper than using Checkmite+ or Apistan
according to recommendations, and just as easy, but many people do not
understand that.  I think the problem is that there is apprehension about
legality, especially in the US, and, further that these methods require
proactive mangement, and good management is a scarce resource in many
(most?) beekeeping operations.  Many beekeepers are behind the curve daily,
and driven by necessity, not by well-laid plans, and are looking for a
convenience product.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, when I am saying acids are cheap to
use, I'm talking about beekeeper-devised acid application methods, *not* the
proprietary acid delivery products that have been working at coming to
market.  The latter - IMO - are less adaptable, usually involve something
that has to be taken out of the hive eventually (an extra operation
comparted to my personal favourites, listed below) and higher cost, but may
have a place in the scheme of things.

Here, I'm talking about either the Dri-loc 50 pads or Apinovar application
methods for formic, and either the drizzling or evaporation methods for
oxalic.  Miteaway and Mitegone and the gel pads and proprietary bottle and
tray applicators are examples of proprietary methods that require purchase
of consumables and equipment besides the acids themselves.  As I say, they
have their place, but not in my hives, thanks.

OK.  If it costs about $4 plus labour, per hive, for materials to treat once
with either of the two strips (and extra labour to remove the strips) , and
the cost of material for either formic or oxalic is a matter of pennies,
then it seems to me that a beekeeper has *at least* an extra $4 per hive,
once or twice a year depending on locale, to cover the cost of any
additional labour, equipment, or bother involved in the acid treatments (not
that there necessarily is any extra work with acids), and -- as far as I can
see -- especially for a beekeeper with a few hundred hives or more, that
cost is very low, and a one-time hit.

The acid treatments can require a one-time investment in education and
set-up, some safety equipment, and possibly an applicator, depending on what
method is chosen and the scale of operation.  One of them (Dri-loc 50 pads)
requires multiple trips to the yards, and that may or may not be feasible in
some cases.  Apinovar requires an up-front investment in the special
screened floors.  Evaporation requires an evaporator.  Nonetheless, any time
I have done the math, I have seen huge savings over the use of Apistan or
Checkmite+, and when you add in the fact that the beeswax is not
contaminated by acid treatments, I cannot see why the advantages or acids --
immediate savings and long term savings -- are not obvious to everyone.

For the methods I like, Dri-loc pads are an additional expense, but they are
dirt cheap, and disposable.  The bees chews them out.  The Apinovar floor is
a big investment -- equivalent to the cost of  four years of treating with
strips -- but has the advantage of allowing easy mite monitoring and
instant, easy, non-invasive acid application.  An acid evaporator can be an
expense, but such a device can also be shared around the district.
Drizzling needs little in the way of equipment: a large veterinary syringe
suffices nicely, I hear.

Years back, the need for clunky extra rims, carrying liquid acid around in
trucks, slow evaporators, and scaremongering about safty hazards put a lot
of people off acids.  Now, we know that acids are the answer, along with
thymol-based treatments, at least until varroa and acarine-resistant bees
become better proven, and more widespread.

Nonetheless, acids are not as simple to understand as the chemical strips
that worked the same in every region of the continent.  Acids can present
some problems, especially in wamer southern areas, where there is little
annual interruption in brood rearing, and where daytime tmeperatures are
high enough to make formic evaporate rapidly.  Nonetheless, I think that,
with some thinking and management, these problems are manageable.

> I am not being smug in writing this mail - the potential threats to
> my region are the same as the ones reaping havoc in certain USA
> regions.

Actually, no.

Our climate protects us from the problems of the South.  Our long broodless
period and harsh winters make things harder for varroa, and allow for
effective treatments with acids.  Our legal system permits us to use the
acids openly without fear of precipitous, drastic and capricious regulatory
enforcement action against us.

> In my own small way, I am trying to limit mite damage by
> being aware of what their status is in my colonies. I might get hit
> hard one day, if not from Varroa, then maybe Res.AFB, I don't know,
> whatever.

If you are monitoring, as you say, you will see it coming, and you have the
tools to protect yourself.  Acids for varroa and tracheal, radiation against
SAFB.  Tylosin for backup and emergency use.

> What I do know is that I need to be educated, aware of present day
> threats, more than thoughtful of future situations that are foreseen

Exactly.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/