From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:48:59 -0400
How does Round-Up effect bees?

Just curious.  We use it, in small quantities (we use less than 30
gallons over 300 acres) and spray once on our main crops a couple
weeks after emerging to kill off competitive plants.

We also have massive diverse forage area on our farm and around it.
Some local farmers use more Round-Up or similar herbicides (we use an
off brand similar to Honcho I believe).  Those growing non-GMo crops
are using more and spraying more often (more weaker applications
usually to avoid killing the corn yet killing Johnson grass).  No one
is using pesticides.

I have no proof but I would argue that with label use of the product
we have not seen ANY bad effects.  Our feral bee population is quite
nice and I have documented several bee trees in the region.  Mother
nature and beekeepers that take too much honey are far more dangerous
to the bees I would imagine than Round-Up sprayed in the spring.

I am up to 30 colonies now.  None of which have been treated, other
than doing later season splits on a couple.  Going on year three of no
treatments.

If there is solid documentation I'd be interested in seeing it.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855