From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 07:42:52 -0600
> Since the temperature required to melt wax for foundation is only
> 65C this is quite a wide divergence.  Since hive parts have for many
> years been disinfected by scorching,  is it not likely that a
> thorough steaming would prove effective at controlling AFB and EFB.
>
> Prof Heath also suggests that immersion for 5 - 10 minutes in
> Caustic Soda would leave hive parts infection free.

The question of disinfection of hive parts has been one that has come
up numerous times for discussion on this list.

IMO it is a waste of time -- and hard on the woodenware -- unless:

*  You live where you are certain that there are no hives with *any*
level of AFB within flying distance of your hives

*  You live in  a jurisdiction where medication is forbidden to all.

*  No person might discard a partially consumed tub of honey in a
dumpster or garbage pail.  (I have had friendly neigbours innocently
 put out old honey buckets for my bees to clean out).

AFB is a funny disease.

Contrary to the superstitious beliefs of many beekeepers,

*  It requires quite a few spores to be fed to a susceptible larva in a
non hygienic hive at just the right time to produce the
characteristic breakdown with rotten larvae and scale.

*  It can be cleared up -- often permanently -- with a little
tetracycline applied properly

*  Some strtains of bees are quite resistant to it

*  Breakdown can be prevented by preventative dusting, or today when
it seems everyone should be using TM grease patties routinely,
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>