From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:26:31 -0600
Hello Dee,
Did your test results say nosema, nosema apis or nosema ceranae or a
combination of nosema apis & nosema ceranae?

it is very hard for me to answer without knowing what the diagnosis was.

nosema spores of nosema apis and nosema ceranae look very similar. As per
Randy Oliver's articles you can figure spores per million with the scope of
both *nosema* but you really need a conformation of nosema ceranae in your
yards before the battle begins.

You might need to send Jerry B. new samples if Jerry did not confirm exactly
if you have nosema ceranae.
My guess is you do especially if yards are within flying distance of a beek
doing drenching.

In Spain research has shown it takes around two years for nosema ceranae
from first introduced into an apiary to reach levels in which a hive will
look great and crash a couple weeks later. Randy correct me if this
statement has changed as you keep contact with the Spain researchers.

Dee,
Not to be the bearer of bad news but if your 200 hives died partly because
of nosema ceranae and you reused equipment I predict the problem will
surface again at another time. Will be interesting to see if happens.

Important:
If you see losses again with bees in those reused boxes I would consider not
reusing the boxes (organic but expensive as spores are even on woodenware)
or using acetic acid before reuse.  It is my opinion that the longer you try
to reuse those deadouts the harder it is to keep healthy bees in those
boxes.

Nosema ceranae spreads through yards if left unchecked.

I know you are not interested for the most part what a member of the crowd
doing about the opposite of what you organic beeks do but at least listen to
what we have learned.

bob