Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:51:28 GMT
>>50s of granulated sugar were $.40/lb this summer at Costco. Saturday,
the price was $.485, and only available in 10s.

I bought 25lb bags about a week ago for $.44 a pound.  The 50lb bag price was $.40 a pound or $19 and change for a bag but this size was out of stock.  I recall the 50lb bag being $20 or $21 and change a year ago.  Made me think the Costco price actually dropped a little.

I started feeding early in the 2nd half of September to stimulate broodrearing.  (There had been little nectar coming in the 4 weeks prior - after the knotweed and loosestrife were over - and the hives were low on stores after the last supers were taken off.  The colonies had curtailed brood rearing and colony populations dropped significantly to the point of having me concerned - they had gone from bee beards to a just a couple of deeps in tall hives on warm days.)

Now the bee populations are recovering nicely and the brood patterns look really good.  Their stores are getting up to par, too.

Some late-blooming goldenrod is kicking in well.  They are bringing it in as I am feeding.  Loads of goldenrod pollen is getting stored as well.  The pervasive goldenrod perfume fills the yard in the evenings....

The weather is actually nice now: good, infrequent rains and warm temp.  [I am still picking loads of raspberries and the figs are finally (!!) starting to ripen...]

They will be raising new bees into November.  Should have strong populations going into the winter.  I considered feeding pollen sub but resisted the idea seeing the big balls of pollen.

Sorry to hear you had a disappointing crop this year, too, Mike.  Mine was the worst ever - good bees but a disappointing honey crop.  I looking forward to next year!

Waldemar

PS.  I removed two feral colonies this summer in the village where you grew up. :))