From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:44:15 +1000
> >A screen (beekeeper provided used by me and not Kona) on top of the
> pellets
> is a safety element because I felt  if a smoker is tipped some hot coals
> could fall out
> in the grass or in a hive and might cause a fire.

Bob, I was at Kona a couple of weeks ago, and they do currently use a
screen.  Also a blast of air into the bottom air intake of the smoker can to
get the coals going.

In the manufacture of wood pellets, the extrusion process creates enough
heat to "plastify" the natural lignin, which then glues the fibers together.

Re hot weather (thought we were going to die a couple of days ago, as our
bodies had not yet adusted), we throw a dry teabag into each cooler of ice
water.  Gives the water just enough flavor to help you drink enough.

Randy Oliver