From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 18:16:32 -0000
>Seed treatment is definitely "targeted"...

I have difficulty with that statement; few shoot at a target with a
blunderbuss!  Surely if we know the pest that we are trying to hit then we
should not make the whole plant (including its nectar and pollen) poisonous
to all insects?  We may think that there is no observable harm to bees, but
what about all the other insects.

I would wish to make it clear that I certainly do not see the neonicotinoids
as the whole problem - perhaps not the main problem (the weather and varroa
feature very high on my list) -  but their mode of action and way in which
they are used gives me great cause for concern.  I am uncomfortable with
what we humans are doing; it just not feel right.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W