From:
David Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 11:39:37 -0500
On Thu, 18 Jan, Tom Elliott of Eagle River, Alaska,
intolerantly wrote:

>     What, if any value is a response like this.  Not only do I not have
>     any idea who sent it, but I have no idea of their reasons.  Should I
>     accept this advice just because it is out there on the web
>     "somewhere"?
>
>     ------------------------------------------------------
>     "a ll communication hole need to be on the bottom"
>

>     Tom Elliott
>     Eagle River, Alaska
>     103207.3643@Compuserve   OR

and Robert McDowell (no adress given, but apparently from the US Department
of Agriculture, APHIS program, based on e-mail address), wrote, with two
grammatical errors:

>Date:    Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:54:40 -0700
>From:    Robert McDowell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: "Re [2]: communication holes" -Reply
>
>Check the email address of the sender for a clue as to there
>whereabouts.  I believe the sender of the ungramatical--and not
>necessarily correct--message about communication holes was from a
>university in North Carolina.  Send his/her department chairman/woman a
>copy of the email--they probably have higher standards than what we
>saw for departmental communication.

One of the greatest virtues of being a beekeeper is that it
teaches patience and tolerance.  Patience to work each
hive with careful deliberation, and tolerance to the
occasional sting in spite of your patience.  For the most
part, the subscribers of BEE-L exercise these traits.

Before quickly jumping in to criticize some one for trying
to be helpful, one should think of the old Indian saying
about "walking a mile in my moccasins."  There are many
excellent beekeepers with many years of experience and
accumulated knowledge of beekeeping who are "newbies"
when it comes to computers.  I know, because I have presented
programs for beekeepers on using the Internet.

Typographical skills, computer literacy, excellence in
"netiquette", and "higher standards for departmental
communication" are hallmarks of a desk job.  I doubt
that the truly great beekeepers have desk jobs.

The author of the original answer to "communication
holes",  is a beekeeping stalwart (in more ways than one!  :)
in NC.  He was with me when I first opened a hive.

David Martin
Fifteen years a "scientist",
Four years a beekeeper (with thanks to Bill Sheppard and others), with
Six hives in central North Carolina, USA