From:
John Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:42:02 -0700
hi all,

i've been reading the currently growing debate over the mineral
oil treatment that Dr. Rodriguez is using.

i remember some time ago when spearmint, wintergreen and other
oils were being embraced by the beekeeping community, with little
or no argument about them showing up in honey.  why now is there
such a concern over food grade mineral oil?  i must admit this is
a bit perplexing to me when i read all the criticisms.

also, when we use apistan, don't we not harvest that crop of honey
due to the presense of apistan?  we let the bees use it up over
the winter.  so why can't the same "rule" apply to mineral oil?

the current law states only apistan.  so if everyone is so concerned,
then stick to the law.  but allow persons like Dr. Rodriguez to
continue to experiment with reports on progress.  I do think that
a more scientific approach, with controls and monitors, should
be put in place, but for "first pass" analysis, i think he is
doing what many others are doing, but not saying anything about it.

i would caution Dr. Rodriguez and others doing experiments not to
sell their honey lest our industry be tainted by reports of
contaminated honey.  but surely let the testing continue, and keep
the community informed of progress.

my two cents worth.

  (\       John
 {|||8-     in