From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:11:05 -0500
>Here is a powerpoint presentation called Organophosphate (OP)  Alternatives
>to Anthropod Management.

could not get to download.

http://orchard.uvm.edu/uvmapple/pest/insects/AgnelloVT_OP_Alts_Feb2008.pdf

> The main issue is the price is much higher or the systemics would be used
> more often around here.

Controlling what the maker says the systemics will control is the aspect i
hear most. If you think the systemics are high now wait until the
organophosphates are pulled.

>For coddling moth OP has never worked as well as Assail.

Why don't you tell the rest of the story Brian. Assail is sprayed on the
bloom while bees are in the field. You use assail while my bees are in your
orchard and I will not be back. Same with Dave Hackenberg!

>Suggesting that the apple industry will go out of business without OP's is
>laughable  in my view.

What will be laughable is when you switch to the neonicotinoids and keep
your bees on your property and your bees start dying from getting
contaminated water, pollen & nectar from your trees and the ground cover
below.
When you finally figure out what is going on you call a migratory beekeeper
to bring bees and he says we will have to wait at least a year after you
stop using the neonicotinoids.

friendly advice:
With the OP's you can and many do keep a large amount of hives close by if
you spray with care. Will not be possible from my sources if you move to the
systemic pesticides. The bees will get contaminated water and the clover
under the trees will also pick up the systemics.
I almost  did not add the above and you may not agree so take for what its
worth.

bob