From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:07:42 -0700
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, j h & e mcadam wrote:

> I would appreciate any suggestions as to how we can extend the shelf life of
> canola honey, remembering we have no control over it once it has left our shed.

Hi Betty:

I have been selling liquid rapeseed honey in glass jars for many years. I
run it into the jars directly from the filter, where it solidifies in
about 3 weeks. To reliquify it I put the jars in a space heated to 120
degrees fahrenheit for about 24 hours. The result is a sparkling clear
product which stays liquid for about 3 months at room temperature. The
flavor is not as nice as the original. It loses most of its sourish taste
and there is some darkening, but this apparently is what people want to
buy.

I am willing to reliquify the jars for the storekeeper if they regranulate
on his shelves, but you should only do this once, otherwise the darkening
becomes apparent.

Best regards,

Donald Aitken Edmonton Alberta Canada