From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:46:16 -0400
Bob wrote the definitive response to the whole issue of GM bees.

I would add that the costs involves in identifying whatever genes we
would like in our bees is prohibitive for the gains realized especially
since nature tends to do it free. The recent human gene mapping was just
that, a map of human genes. Identification of what they do is a very
long term and costly project. Even then, how to modify them to get the
desired results is also costly and takes time.

Plus add in the Law of Unforeseen Consequences, when it may not be just
that gene but a set of genes in unrelated areas that give us what we are
really looking for, but we only change the genes in one spot and.....

Think 300 pound bee.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME