From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:48:29 -0700
This discussion was going on at sci.agriculture.beekeeping and I thought
it might be of interest here too...

BTW,  sci.agriculture.beekeeping was set up for really basic discussions
and is wide open to chatter, _uninformed_ discussion of beekeeping,
irrelevance and all that stuff that might not belong here on 'INFORMED
DISCUSSION OF BEEKEEPING'.

If you are interested and have never been able to get there, try going to
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/

Follow the "Bee Discussion Lists' link, and there you will find several
ways to get to sci.agriculture.beekeeping including a web based one that I
personally use in preference to a local newsreader.  You can also try the
links at the end of the message below...

Here's the article...
---

Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping

> > >Put on some supers.>>

> > I hate to disagree with you, Allen,

> way too early for supers

Okay, sorry guys, I guess I should have been more explicit, so I'll expand
(excuse me) a bit:

* Put on supers BELOW the Brood chamber(Yes I know 'super' is the Latin word
for 'above', but never mind).  Bees naturally are found at the top of a cavity
in spring and move down as they expand.

* Make sure you have appropriate entrance reducers on and the hive is
reasonably draught-proof.

* Make sure there is plenty of feed.

* Use a sheet of newspaper if you are concerned about whether the bees should
go down and let them decide.  (You don't need to invest in a quality paper:
USA Today is okay, and so is the National Enquirer.  In a pinch you can
splurge and use the Wall Street Journal or Speedy Bee).

* Make a few knife slits or holes in the paper -- if you use it (I don't) --
the size of a dime so they get the hint and don't mistake it for the bottom
board (which is what they have become accustomed to finding in that position).

* Put an excluder UNDER the brood chamber and over the super(s)if you want to
keep the queen out.

* Reverse when the weather gets better.

Works for me up here in the icy north when the bees are huge and the weather
is iffy.  That's usually in April/May/.

Allen