From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:28:34 -0800
> >   My point was that uncapped,
> discoloured larvae - often described as having a 'melted appearance' (and
> usually twisted out of position) are normally associated with EFB.

EFB larvae are normally twisted up onto the sides of the cell, and have the
tracheal tubes discolored yellow, but I certainly wouldn't describe them as
"melted."  They remain much more intact than the melted AFB larvae or pupae.
EFB typically kills younger larvae than AFB does.  AFB is more a pupal kill.
Whether or not the dead pupae are visible depends upon the "hygienicity"  (I
just coined that term) of the colony.  Some colonies don't uncap, some
partially uncap (perforations), some fully uncap, some uncap and remove
(termed "hygienic bees).  Some AFB smells, some doesn't.  The distinctive
color and disintegration of the exoskeleton (melting) are characteristic
field signs.  Also, there is usually scale remaining.  Not to mention the
"rope."

Beginners note:  if you see perforated caps, and fully formed dead adult
bees under the caps, it was probably a varroa kill.  Varroa kills also
typically have guanine deposits on the cell ceilings, and the combs smell
like tobacco (I have no idea why!).

Randy Oliver
California