From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:13:55 -0500
> Randy I'll second this
> FWIW I have 3 consecutive zero nosema tests
> yet all my hives have ccd symptoms (now down to 16 + 12??)

ALL the CCD hives tested positive for N. ceranae. If yours are not positive
for nosema then I doubt your problems are CCD.  The true indicators of CCD
would be in my opinion a KBV find with N. ceranae. Those two were found in
all the CCD samples.

> The Mar15 test cost $8, saves having to buy expensive fumidil

Did you spend $8 testing each hive? If so then it seems it would be cheaper
to treat.

 I would hate to think of all the money I have spent on fumidil. However
when nosema levels climb I feel even with the old nosema apis fumidil was
worth the cost. Take a hive with 60,000 bees and all the foragers die two
weeks earlier than normal. The couple dollars to treat the hive was more
than made up by the increase in honey production.

Horace Bell is the most knowledgeable commercial beekeeper I ever met and I
was told by Mid Con ( held the registration for years) years ago he was the
largest buyer of fumidil in the world. being his former partner( over four
decades ago) and life long friend I can tell you he would never buy a
product which did not return his investment with interest.

 Rarely did nosema apis kill hives except in extreme cases but the new N.
ceranae does. The reason today for control of n. ceranae is more than honey
production.  Those hobby and sideline on the list which have not seen the
new nosema in their hives will in my opinion within a couple years.

bob