Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:30:53 -0500
> The first endorsement for using a pollen sub for bee health (other than to increase brood production) came by phone from Dave Hackenberg in fall 2007 ( I think or maybe fall 2008).

Bob, I've been beating that drum for at least ten years.  I'm not that orginal, either.  I'm sure I stole the idea from someone even further back.

> Since then I have had others say similar comments but in Florida we wonder if pollen sub is worth the cost. Plenty of fresh pollen is available in the areas we are splitting and so only syrup has been needed to make increase.

If the bees have what they need already, then they have what they need already.  Feeding is like insurance.  You have to figure your risk.

> In checking on the hives of Dave Farmer ( California beekeeper reporting big losses) I found a post by his employee ( named Terry) on another list. The post clearly explains plenty of identifiable beekeeping problems were found in those hives.

Yeah.  I checked that out.  Seems they pulled honey early on a hot, hot day, disorganised the bees,  and cooked the brood, then stood around scratching their heads.  One pro could see that in a heartbeat and said so.  Seems quite obvious.

> I am of the same mindset as juanse when it comes to nosema ceranae. When I see yards of bees off feed I reach for the fumigillin bottle and not pollen sub.

Every situation is different, even if it looks the same to many, or even if the writeup misses some crucial clues.

You're a pro and I know that when you open a hive that you can see in a second what you are facing.  Thousands of words in web posts would not spell ot what you and others like you can see in the blink of an eye.

For the rest of us, the mantra is: Feed your bees, feed your bees, feed your bees...

We all know that you will ignore the doctor.  What do doctors know anyhow?