From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 07:31:26 -0500
Tim Vaughan wrote:

> Mr. Gollihugh is to be commended on many levels, including long term
> planning, hard work, etc.. As a sideliner though, I spent about 2 minutes
> per hive total treating with a strip of Checkmite in my 110 hives, and only
> lost 4, none due to mites.

IPM does take time. I am not sure what the criteria you use for
treatment, so you may practice it.

The intent of IPM is responsible use of pesticides. There is no question
that a set routine of pesticide use works and makes life much easier for
the farmer/beekeeper/fruit grower but it can easily get into the area of
overkill and misuse. And in the long run is counterproductive.

Many on this list practice it without calling it such. They check for
mites and apply controls when the mites reach a certain level. That is
IPM. They are better beekeepers because they are involved and interested
in what is going on in the apiary. They are responsible stewards. They
are also the survivors who have weathered many storms and have done so
with varroa.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me.