From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:58:55 -0400
>Alden Leatherman wrote

>I need some advice on how to deal with the scattered honey I've found in
>the extracted supers I put back on the hives for the bees to clean up.  I
--snip----
>away.  How do I talk them into the task. I could leave it but am afraid of
>what kind of a fermented - crystallized mess I might end up with by next
>spring.   Any suggestions?  Do bees normally store honey above an
>inner cover or did I just leave them on too long and they had no where
>else to store the fall flow once the extra deeps I put on were full?

This, placing wet supers over an inner cover for drying, is a good idea.
But, as always timing is everything. If you extract quickly, and return the
boxes quickly, then the bees seem to carry on filling them up again. What we
do is wait a few days with the inner cover hole closed. Then when you put
them back they clear it out.
        What to do now? My advice, even though it hurts (all that extra
work) repeat the process. If you don't there is a danger of fermentation,
worse, granulated honey in the frames. Next year your problems get worse! If
you put granulated frames on, then it seeds next years honey, which
depending on circumstances means you might not extract it. So, bite the
bullet, do it again, and learn by your errors!!!  ;-))
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *