From:
"Sr. Monica Ryan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:37:04 +0000
Hello to All!

Oil Seed Rape Honey? I am wondering if any of you have experience with
the harvesting of this type of honey?  This is my experience....
There is quite a lot of Oil Seed Rape grown in this area - sometimes a
blessing, but at other times it causes problems.

Proficient Beekeepers tell us that extraction should be done as soon as
the crop goes off flower.  For two consecutive seasons (weather
conditions not good), I have had problems with the supers.  When I came
to the job of removing the supers, I found patches of SEALED ans patches
of UNSEALED honey on each of a number of frames.  I then decided to
postpone removal and extraction, only to find myself with combs of
solidly crystalised honey ten days later.

I'm wondering if any of you, who deal with Oil Seed Rape Honey, would
please tell me of their  experience of handling the crop.  Is there any
method of getting the honey from such combs without destroying the
Foundation/Combs?  I will be really grateful for any information or tips
on this subject.

Thank you - in advance
Sr. Catherine
(Sr. Monica is the typist)