From:
Margie Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:14:34 -0400
A few weeks ago, someone posted about using wire as a draw knife to loosen
supers or frames.  I've had a lot of trouble with burr comb so I gave it a
try this weekend with mixed results.

Used a 2 foot piece of single-strand picture hanging wire between two 1/2
inch dowels.  Standing behind the hive, I drew the wire between the supers
from front to back.  The supers are polystyrene with Pierco plastic frames.

1)  The wire kept breaking.  I don't know the material.  I'd estimate the
guage at no. 4.  I picked single strand because it seemed like it would be
easier to keep clean and easier to work with than multi-strand wire of the
same thickness.  Obviously it wasn't good enough.  Suggestions for wire that
works?

2)  When I did separate the supers and the frames, it was much easier than
it's ever been before.  For the first time, I could lift a super without
half the frames from the next super trying to come along.  On the other
hand, it looked like I killed a lot of bees.  Lots of half bodies lying on
top of the frames.  Is that normal or is there something in my technique
that could have reduced the losses?  (Regardless, I'm pretty sure I killed
less than last year when the stuck frames made me lose my balance and drop a
super.)

3)  If this was covered in the archives, what were some of the keywords in
the discussion?  I'm afraid I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike Rossander