From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:49:44 -0400
Bob writes

CBPV became a issue in the U.S. with the entrance of tracheal mites and a
larger issue when varroa arrived. CBPV was the main virus issue with
parasitic mite syndrome ( PMS) Dr. Shiminuki explained to us.

* I would say that the work done by Shimanuki back in the 1990s may need updating. We are dealing with numerous viruses compounded by other factors such as miticides, pesticides, and quite probably nutritional deficiencies

Indirectly, however, Varroa
is even more detrimental due to its competency as
a vector for numerous viral diseases, as well as its
ability to activate otherwise latent infections. This
condition has been termed parasitic mite syndrome or
varroosis (Shimanuki et al. 1994).

referring to:

Shimanuki, H., N. W. Calderone, and D. A. Knox. 1994.
Parasitic mite syndrome- the symptoms. Am. Bee J. 134:
827-828.

* More recent writing states

However, we must also state that we have not achieved the original
aim to get rid of the parasite or at least to solve the problems
related to Varroosis. There is neither a Varroa treatment available
which fulfills all the criteria "safe, effective and easy to apply" nor
a honey bee which is sustainably tolerant to Varroosis under temperate
climatic conditions.

Rather, we now face new problems
with secondary diseases and damage in honey bee colonies caused
by synergistic effects of Varroosis plus other pathogens or environmental
factors (EU-project COLOSS; Oldroyd, 2007). In addition,
there are still no data showing that Varroa in general becomes less
virulent or that honey bee colonies selected for mite tolerance
survive without mite control.

Biology and control of Varroa destructor
Peter Rosenkranz, Pia Aumeier, Bettina Ziegelmann
Journal of Invertebrate Pathology 103 (2010)