From:
Charles Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 11:37:39 LCL
I'm looking for some ideas. I am the editor of the newsletter for
the Connecticut Beekeepers Assn. Due to the recent media coverage of
Apitherapy last August we have a number of new, interested
beekeepers raising bees for this purpose. Those who are using the
bees for their own treatment prefer local bees. Assuming that more
active, stronger bees yield more benifit.

Now to the problem: how to get bees from a colony in mid-winter
without damaging the colony. The first thing which comes to mind
is  putting a colony or two in the cellar of a home if it can be
maintained at 10 to 12 deg. C. or so. However, spouses may not
appreciate bees in the dining room so some kind of enclosure
should be provided. Also, can the queen be tricked by lights on a
timer into laying eggs before the winter solstice? This would
augment the number of bees which can be drawn from a colony, if
the bees would also take food suppliments.

I apologize if this subject has been recently discussed, I've only
been a subscriber for a month or so. If there is an archived
discussion somewhere, could someone point me to it? Thank you for
any ideas contributed.

     [ Chuck Howe - Editor CT. Honey Bee              ]
     [ INTERNET - [log in to unmask]            ]
     [ COMPUSERVE - [log in to unmask]         ]