From:
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:26:09 -0400
At the risk of yet another spam, I will try a final point.

Like many, I just deleted my 40+ files of the Yards.gif spreadsheet file
without looking at it.  I did request the Yards.xlf file and found it very
informative.  I found it interesting to note the types and the number of
variables being recorded.  I also have no doubt that someone else might pay
more attention to queen lines, and I know we pay more attention to hygienic
behavior and disease history.

But, that is the point I was trying to make when I suggested a group effort
to "design" some of the software, that so many claim to want.

So far my mail has yielded three pieces of software, one being marketed,
and two offered for free.  With these exceptions, not only has no one else
indicated any interest in collaborating on providing some customized
software, but I have received some rather nasty comments that this is a
discussion list, not a software design group.

Maybe my academic background is lending a strong bias, but we have always
found databases, models, spreadsheets, etc. to be a means of focusing a
discussion.

Apparently that view is not held by this group.  So, I will take this
discussion off the List.  If anyone would like to brainstorm some
computer-based programs that would be flexible and useful by a wide array
of beekeepers, let me know.  I envision working primarily within a
spreadsheet format - I also don't have the time to continually write and
re-write custom software.  But spreadsheets are powerful tools.

Cheers
Jerry J. Bromenshenk, Ph.D.
Director, DOE/EPSCoR & Montana Organization for Research in Energy
The University of Montana-Missoula
Missoula, MT  59812-1002
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel:  406-243-5648