From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:41:51 EST
In a message dated 1/27/01 5:06:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Just out of curiousity, I was wondering how many hives one would need to
make
 a living full time (and what you consider an adequate living amount) as a
 beekeeper? I recognize that this may be a difficult question. There are
 several hive products that can be sold.  Im just curious more than anything.

    Commercial beekeepers have long maintained that the true test of a master
beekeeper is making a living with the bees.  It is getting more difficult. I
know beekeepers that got, if not rich, then certainly quite comfortable, back
in the 40's and 50's. I know of no one doing that well today.

    The rule of thumb, back when honey prices were more appropriate, was that
a lone honey producer could make it on 800 -1000 hives.  Adding pollination
to the mix increases expenses and often decreases honey production, but
increases income enough to improve the situation, especially if one can do
more than one pollination per season.  One could work fewer hives, or become
more mechanized and increase the number one person can work.

     Queen and package production, pollen or propolis collection become more
labor intensive and it would not be possible for one person to handle as many
hives, but also could produce more income. It's kind of the difference
between growing corn and wheat or growing specialty crops. I used to know a
man who made a living on ten acres, mostly with strawberries.

    I don't know exactly where to look, but the pencil pushers at the
extension offices love to do model budgets, and somewhere there must be
floating around some of these for honey production, at least. I don't know
how realistic these are, because there are so many variables and I've never
followed conventional paths anyway. I prefer to go broke my own way.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com