Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 17:11:38 GMT
>>I have never understood why, particular stationary
beekeepers, draw comb on a nectar flow.  <..> Sugar syrup can be had cheaper than honey any day, even if you factor in labor...

Oh, but the bees will only makes enough wax to store what they are trying to cure.  In your case, it will be cured sugar syrup. Bees will not make comb for the sake making comb after all.

What do you do with all that cured sugar especially in the honey supers!

There seems to be an assumption that drawing comb on a natural flow will greatly diminish the amount of stored honey.  I have not seen that to be a significant case.  Provided you have the bee numbers, the bees seem to work a little extra hard to get more nectar to build the comb.  Very strong colonies will build many frames of comb almost overnight on a 'strong flow.'

Waldemar