From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 22:29:00 -0700
> >I was hoping you would point us in that direction, but even moreso, I was
> hoping to get the Cole's Notes version.

Every time I give you the Cole's version, Allen, you fire back an essay  : )

> >All I really was wondering was how much of a change they are claiming --
> 1%, 10%, 100% or???

What does the word "claiming" imply?  Why not, "How much change did they
document in careful laboratory research?"

If that was your question, then the answer is that in lima bean plants grown
in an atmosphere of  900ppm CO2, as compared to the current ambient of
385ppm (about half again higher than the 285ppm at the beginning of the
Industrial Revolution), the leaf protein content decreased by.........(thank
you for your patience)............28%.

This caused caterpillars to eat 20% more leaf area in order to obtain enough
protein. Of course, we haven't yet driven CO2 levels to 900ppm, so the
effect since the 1800's is likely less than the 28%.

Please forgive me if I'm a little curt tonight--an oak fell across our power
line outside my bedroom last night, and the utility company was working on
it until dawn, so I didn't get much sleep.

Randy Oliver